I have worked at a senior level in housing for over 20 years including 10 years as Chief Executive of TPAS and 2 years as Executive Director of Tenant Services at the Social Housing Regulator. I currently work as an independent consultant specialising in tenant scrutiny and involvement and as a non-executive in housing and health, including being Chair of Healthwatch Salford.
2010 to date Director, Phil Morgan Limited
Working in tenant scrutiny and resident involvement, landlord-tenant relations, and cultural change. This includes setting up and recruiting Tenant Scrutiny Panels, and supporting them with Service Reviews. It currently includes reviews into tenant involvement, facilitating joint landlord-tenant meetings, carrying out regulatory compliance checks and being an Independent Tenant Advisor.
This involves engaging with tenants, officers at all levels, Board Members and councillors. My clients include Local Authorities and Housing Associations.
I am a regular speaker at Housing Conferences, regular commentator for BBC and Talk Radio and judge for housing awards including the Northern Housing Awards.
2009 – 2010 Executive Director Tenant Services, Social Housing Regulator
I led the National Conversation to gain tenant and landlords views on the Regulatory Framework and liaised with the main housing stakeholders to gain input and support for the Regulatory Framework. I worked on the detailed development of the Regulatory Framework.
1999 – 2009 Chief Executive Tenant Participation Advisory Service (TPAS)
I was responsible for running TPAS, the leading body for tenant involvement consisting of landlord and tenant members, 30 staff and a turnover of £3m. I reported to the TPAS Board for the operation of TPAS business in support of its mission to promote tenant involvement including governance, strategic planning and risk management. During this time TPAS considerably expanded its scope with increases in staff, membership and income, and reduced dependency on MHCLG funding.
1998 – 1999 Assistant Director Centre for Local Economic Strategies
1982 – 1998 Government Office North West & North West Development Agency
Sponsor manager for the Liverpool Housing Action Trust (HAT) and leading setting up the North West Development Agency (both NDPBs).
- Guinness Partnership Board Member from 2017, Chair of Service and Performance Committee from 2019, Remunerations and Nominations Committee from 2019
- Chair of Healthwatch Salford from 2016
- Housing Ombudsman Panel of Advisors from 2018 to 2021 and Sector Expert Panel from 2021
- Healthwatch in Greater Manchester Steering Group from 2017
- Building Safety Regulator Interim Residents Panel from 2021
- Newton with Clifton Parish Councillor from 2021 and Vice Chair from 2022
- Greater Manchester Population Health Delivery Board from 2018 to 2022
- Greater Manchester Health and Care Board from 2020 to 2022
- NV Buildings Resident Board Member from 2019 to 2021
- Wulvern Housing Board Member 2010 to 2017, becoming Vice Chair in 2014 and Chair in 2016
- New Prospect Homes (Salford ALMO) Board Member 2004 to 2006
- CIH North West Regional Board Member 2010 to 2013
- Chair of Old Trafford Primary School Governors 1994 to 1998
- School Governor on 12 schools between 1986 and 2015 (not concurrently)
- Vice President of Trafford Credit Union 1998 to 2001
- Trafford MBC Councillor 1986 to 1987 and 1988 to 1992
I have published eight versions of Learning from Regulatory Downgrades. These bring together lessons from downgrades issued by the Regulator of Social Housing.
- Chartered Institute of Housing Distinguished Professional 2008
- Mersey Common Purpose Graduate 1997
- BSc (Honours) Liberal Studies In Science 2:2 Manchester University 1981